About Our Summer Reading Program
The program is completely free! It runs live for 8 weeks (July 11th – Sept 2nd), but also includes 2 makeup weeks at the end (Sept 6th – Sept 17th). The program is open to all ages, we think we cover it by saying 0-135 years old, but if you are 136+ you are welcome too! And it is open to people of all towns – you need not be a resident of Sewaren or Woodbridge to participate! Welcome, we are happy to have you at our library!
To participate in the summer reading program, you must become a member of our library with a valid library card in good standing (no outstanding fines, card up to date). To become a member and receive your free library card, simply stop in our library anytime and sign up. Adults bring a valid ID with you whether registering for yourself or for your child(ren). One library card per person.
Once you have a library card, you can register for the summer reading program. Simply ask the librarian to add you to the registration list and you are in. That’s it, so easy!
Each week, from July 11th – Sept 2nd, we will have something new to see and do at the library (see calendar for details). During the 2 makeup weeks, Sept 6 – Sept 17th, there aren’t any activities, but our friendly library clerks will be there to log your visit. When you stop by each week:
· You must check in with the library clerk so she can log your visit and give you credit for that week
· We will have small fun shaped tags so you can add your name to our Summer Reading Bulletin Board. We hope to see it full!
· You have the option of doing (or taking) the weekly summer activity/craft/item
· You can enjoy your visit however you like; some ideas include checking out a book or a DVD, sitting and reading (inside or outside on our lovely grounds), using the computer, doing a puzzle, playing a board game or hanging on your own phone or tablet with our WIFI
· It is all free and we don’t expect anything in return, but we would love it if you would post your visit on Facebook (Sewaren Free Public Library) and help us to spread the word!
Each week that you check in with the library clerk your visit gets entered into our log sheet. At the end of the program, we tally your weekly log ins. Accumulate enough log ins to qualify for the following prizes*:
· Bronze Level- 4 check ins, you qualify for a gift certificate for a 4-pack of Energy Balls or Protein Balls at Want A Smoothie, 76 Main St, Woodbridge.
· Silver Level: 6 check ins, you qualify for a $5 Gift Certificate to Yo-Delight, 82 Main St, Woodbridge.
· Gold Level: 8 check ins, you qualify for a gift certificate for a whole Pizza Pie at San Remo Pizzeria, 87 Main St, Woodbridge.
~Can I come in more times than once a week? Sure, you can visit us every single day- we’d love it! But for the summer reading program it is 1 credit per week per person.
~What if I can’t make it for one whole week, can I send someone in my place? No, the summer reading participant must be the person who checks in weekly. But we understand that things happen, that is why we added 2 extra makeup weeks at the end in order to make it easier to
reach your weekly check-in goals!
~If I get 8 check ins, which prizes do I qualify for? You qualify for all 3 prize levels.
~Can I call in to register or check in? No, you must come in person to the library to register, to check in and to receive credit for your visit.
~When do I receive my prize(s)? On Sept 18th we will use the tally sheets to determines who is eligible for which prizes. All winners will be announced via Facebook & our new email newsletter (make sure we have a valid email when you register). Prizes will be available for pick up September 19th through November 1st. After November 1st we will donate unclaimed prizes to the Woodbridge Food Bank. Winners must be present to pick up prizes.
~Do I have to read books to participate? No, the only thing you have to do is check in if you are wanting credit and a chance at our cool prizes. We love reading and all things books, but we know that everyone has their own interests! Did we mention that we offer free WIFI use, have great computer stations and free DVD rentals?
Important Note: Please remember that this is a program offered for free, run by volunteers, and that the library is purchasing the prizes through the generous monetary donations of the Gwynne Romig Trust. For the prizes, at the Bronze Level we are limited to 300 prizes, at the Silver level we are limited to 200 prizes, and at the Gold Level we are limited to 100 prizes. In the event that, at any level, more participants qualify than prizes available, we will input the qualifying participants, in each specific level, into a random generator and allow the prizes to be awarded randomly.
*We chose to patronize small local businesses for the prizes because we believe in investing in our community. If you have a small local business that would like to be considered for future events, let us know.
The Sewaren Free Public Library is a small, friendly community library that welcomes people from all towns to join. Our free services include book and DVD rentals (with a convenient drop box for returns), internet and computer use including individual computer stations, and private tutoring space. We also offer free volunteer-run programs throughout the year for people of all ages – and we are always seeking volunteers to bring their skills and programs to our friendly space!
Our hours of operations are Monday through Friday 2-6pm and Saturdays 10am – 2pm.
You can visit our website at www. SewarenLibraryNJ.ORG or check out what we are up to on Facebook: Sewaren Free Public Library